Monday, February 11, 2013

How To Grow Green Onions


NEVER BUY SCALLIONS AGAIN!!!


 
Ok, so the first thing that needs to be said about this tip/trick is that it 100% works.  The second thing to mention about regrowing your own scallion indoors is that it fricken smells awful! 
 
***Quick Update***
(So I have been growing the onions now for over a month and I'm on my 4th cutting.  They just keep growing and the smell doesn't seem to be as bad.  Still think the idea of growing some lemon leaves next to it would be a good plan.  Hope you guys are having luck with your scallions)
 
So if your still willing to give it a try then it really is quite simple to regrow the scallion you already have in your fridge.
 
 
 
Simply cut 2-3 inches from the bottom of the scallions.
 
 
Next get a cute dish and fill with rocks, pepples or seaglass like I used.
 
 
Place your cut scallions in and water daily.
 
Sit back and watch your green onions grow!
 


 
Like I mentioned earlier, I found the smell coming from my cut scallions to be just awful.  I'm not sure if its the onions itself, the smell of the water or a combination of the two.
 
I'm thinking that it may be smarter to plant the scallion bulbs into some potting soil so that you don't have to worry about the water smelling.  In addition, it just may be wiser to do this in the summer months when you can keep your little scallion cuttings in a cute container on your porch.
 
I wanted to keep the cut bulbs in the same container for the whole week while I took the pictures, but I think its better to tie your bunch of bulbs together instead of trying to get them to stand individually in your dish.  They kept flopping over on me.
 
 
 
Here are my scallions after I cut them and put them tied together in a bigger container to regrow again. 
 
 
 I wasn't sure if I should cut below the original cut I made or above it, so i did half the cuts above and half below. 
 
 
 
I'll update the blog once I know which cut worked better and if you can get a second regrowth out of them.  Also I'm thinking of planting something that has a pleasant smell next to these green onion bulbs in the hope of combating the bad odor.  I'll let you know if that works also.
 
 
 
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SCALLIONS!!!
 
 

17 comments:

  1. I've been growing onions in the house, like this, for a long time. It works great! I do mine in a drinking glass or vase and change out the water periodically. They grow fast! You can do this to keep your onions fresh in the refrigerator, also. At first I was afraid it would make the fridge stink, but it didn't. Unlike this mentions, it didn't stink in the kitchen either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're just keeping the onions in water, then you do need to change the water every day to keep it from smelling up the place, yeah. If you're planting them in soil, make sure that you have rocks in the bottom of the container, to allow for drainage.

      You can do this with leaf lettuce, too, and celery bunches - just about anything that comes with roots attached. Try growing the tops of turnips for the greens, too. Or radishes - radish greens add a lovely, spicy kick to salads!

      Delete
    2. If you are just adding water to existing water, that is the reason it's stinky. Fresh water daily is the way to go

      Delete
  2. Fabulous Tip. Thank you much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to grow my own inside in just plain water, but like you said, the smell is horrendous. One day I got the idea to plant them in soil and to put them outaide and just water them. It works beautifully. Part of the problem is that the bulbs begin to soften and get mushy. When that happens, I just dry them out before I plant them in soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this and have them growing but how do I know when they are done, the new shoots are growing in the same bulb th old one were in HELP

    ReplyDelete
  5. To use, do you just snip off the tips or do you use the whold stem and replant the ends again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...I didn't see A SINGLE MENTION OF LIGHT,,guessing it doesn't need it? The ones I got outside...I didn't cut down and left them alone for a while just t see how big it can grow...now when I cut them...and grow back...they stay pretty large and stay sturdy after you cut then for, an unbelievable amount of time. I'm going to try this out, I like the accents LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, just snip off tips, no need to replant the ends again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding light...Because of the smell I kept moving my scallions to different rooms of the house. When I first started I had them in the kitchen by a window, but because of the smell I moved them down to my laundry room where they didn't receive any light. I think the light may have helped them grow a little bit better, but they still grow just fine down in the laundry room with no light. So, if you can put them by a window I would suggest that, but will still grow without sunlight. Thanks everyone for your great comments and tips!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to giving this a try. Would lemon grass regrow & would it need roots?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've done this before as well, but found my last bunch were full of slime inside the green part. I could run my fingers up the shoot and all the slime would pop out the top. But that's the first time that happened to me. It has turned me off of doing it again - at least for a while. But it's summer now, so I have them in my garden for at least 3-4 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the same you can do for leeks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics. Thanks I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for being the trail patient! You used seaglass, I wonder if we tried a natural sponge or charcoals (which absorb smells) if either of these work? Thinking outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I put a dash of vinegar in the water. Keeps the water from smelling bad in a few days then replace the water/vinegar solution

    ReplyDelete
  15. The key is to change the water at least once a week. No rocks in the container. The rocks accumulate the veg. matter & that is what smells. I use a clear narrow glass container, that way you can view how the roots are doing. I live in Northern Canada, not a lot of sunshine during the winter. I find that just the daylight & kitchen light is enough to get lots of greens.

    ReplyDelete

Please be a dear and leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...